Ruleset and Gamestate
This is the Ruleset for BlogNomic; all Illuminati must obey it. Rules 1-9 are the "core Ruleset", covering basic Illuminatus and proposal mechanics; Rules 10 onwards are those specific to the current round.
The Ruleset and Gamestate can only be changed when a Rule specifically permits their being changed. ("Gamestate" is defined as any information which the Ruleset regulates the alteration of, such as Illuminatus's names and the blog colour scheme.)
Spivak pronouns, as defined in the Glossary, shall be used throughout the Ruleset, whenever an Illuminatus is referred.
Admin Staff may correct obvious spelling and typographical mistakes in the Ruleset at any time.
Anybody may apply to join BlogNomic (if e is not already playing) by contacting any of the Admin Staff, specifying the name e wishes to use in the game and the URL or email address e wants eir name to link to in the Illuminatus roster. The Admin may choose to approve or reject this application; if it is approved, the applicant will be signed up as a Member of the BlogNomic weblog, and will be considered an Illuminatus from the moment that e first appears on the roster in the sidebar.
An Illuminatus may change eir name or eir sidebar link, or leave the game, at any time, by posting an entry to the BlogNomic weblog requesting such action.
Some Illuminati are Admin Staff, responsible for updating the site and the Ruleset, and are signified as such in the sidebar. Illuminati who wish to become Admin should sign up with a username for the Ruleset Wiki, and submit a Proposal to make themselves Admins. Existing Admins may be removed from their post by Proposal, CfJ or voluntary resignation.
Some Illuminati are idle, and should be marked as such in the sidebar. For the purposes of rules other than 1 and 2, idle Illuminati are not counted as Illuminati. Admin may render an Illuminatus idle if that Illuminatus has failed to vote for more than a week, or if it has asked to become idle. Admins may un-idle an Illuminatus at eir request - the Illuminatus's personal gamestate retains the values it had immediately prior to eir idling.
A single person may not control more than one Illuminatus within BlogNomic. If anybody is suspected of controlling more than one Illuminatus, then a Proposal may be made to remove any number of such Illuminatus from the game, and to bar the perpetrator from rejoining.
Any Illuminatus may propose a change to the Ruleset or gamestate by posting an entry with the subject "Proposal : [Title]" (where [Title] is a title of eir choosing), and describes the changes e wishs to be made.
Proposals can either be Pending, Enacted, or Failed. When a Proposal is first put forward, it is considered Pending.
No ostensible Proposal shall be legal if its posting leads to its poster having more than 2 Proposals pending. Furthermore, no Illuminatus may post more than 3 Proposals in the same day.
Any Illuminatus may cast eir vote on a Pending Proposal by declaring it in the comments of the entry. Valid votes are FOR, AGAINST, and DEFERENTIAL, which must be represented by appropriate icons. If there exists more than one Vote from a single Illuminatus on a single Proposal, only the most recent of those Votes is counted. If an Illuminatus leaves the game or goes idle, eir Vote no longer counts.
A vote of DEFERENTIAL is a vote of no opinion, or of faith in the decision of the Illuminatus Rex. The vote will count as the same as the Illuminatus Rexs's vote. The Illuminatus Rex cannot cast a vote of DEFERENTIAL. If there is no Illuminatus Rex, a vote of DEFERENTIAL counts as an explicit vote of abstention.
If the Illuminatus who made a Proposal has not cast an explicit Vote on it, eir Vote is counted as FOR.
Quorum is equal to half the number of Illuminati, rounded down, plus one.
If the oldest pending Proposal's FOR votes exceed or equal Quorum and that Proposal has been open for voting for at least 12 hours, or if it is more than 48 hours old and more than half of its votes are FOR, then any Admin Staff may mark that Proposal as Enacted, then update the Ruleset and/or Gamestate to include the specified effects of that Proposal.
If the oldest pending Proposal has enough AGAINST votes that it could not be Enacted without one of those votes being changed, or if all Illuminati have voted on it and it still cannot be Enacted, or if the Illuminatus who proposed it has voted AGAINST it, or if it is more than 48 hours old and at least half of its votes are AGAINST, then any Admin Staff may mark that Proposal as Failed. When the proposer votes against eir own proposal, that vote may not be changed.
whenever an admin marks a proposal as enacted or failed e must report the following information on the proposal:
1) the final tally of for to against votes, or whether the proposal was self-killed or vetoed
2) the time of enactment or failure
3) the identity of the enacting or failing admin
Calls for Judgment
If two or more Illuminati actively disagree as to the interpretation of the Ruleset, or if an Illuminatus feels that an aspect of the game needs urgent attention, then any Illuminatus may raise a Call for Judgment by posting an anonymous entry (via the blogger account that is specifically designated for CFJs) which begins with the paragraph "Call for Judgment" in bold text, and goes on to describe the issue, and measures that should be taken to resolve it.
All Illuminati may add votes of agreement or disagreement in comments to this entry, using appropriate voting icons (an Illuminatus's later votes overriding its earlier ones). CfJs continue until they reach a quorum of FOR votes, or until four days have passed. After this time, if more than half of the cast votes are in favour, the Gamestate and Ruleset should be amended as was specified. Otherwise, the CfJ fails and may have no further effect.
The name of the CFJ blogger account is: CallforJudgment
and it's password is: blognomic
Proposals, Calls for Judgment, and other official posts, as well as specific gamestate information, shall be tracked by the BlogNomic blog at http://blognomic.blogspot.com. Any Illuminatus may post to the blog at any time, but may only make official posts to the blog when the ruleset allows it. Posts following the format specified by a rule are considered official posts.
If nobody else has commented on it, an official post may be altered or removed; otherwise this can only be done as allowed by the ruleset. The Admin processing an official post is allowed to append to the post to reflect its new status. Anything appended to a post in this way must be formatted <div class="adminEdit [result]">[data]</div>, where [result] is one of enact, fail, veto, or other.
A non-official post may not through editing of the blog be changed into an official post.
Voting and comments are tracked by backblog, accessible through the link at the bottom of every post.
Specific parts of the Gamestate data shall be tracked by the Generic Nomic Data Tracker at http://kevan.org/generic?nomic=blog. Any Illuminatus may update any Illuminatus's data via the GNDT, whenever the Ruleset permits it.
All updates to the GNDT are logged - if an Illuminatus feels that an alteration goes against the Rules (as they were at the time of the alteration), e may simply undo the effects of that alteration. If such an undoing is disputed, a Call for Judgment should be raised.
Illuminati shall be assigned a password for the GNDT when they join the Nomic.
BlogNomic is divided into a number of Rounds, referred to as Dynasties.
Each Dynasty has a single Illuminatus Rex and is named according to the number of times which that Illuminatus has been the Illuminatus Rex (or Illuminatus Rex equivalent) (eg. "The First Dynasty of Myke").
The Illuminatus Rex has the following powers:
- E may veto any Proposal; that Proposal immediately fails. (This veto may be contested with a CfJ if it is thought excessively unreasonable.)
- E may change the BlogNomic header, the colour scheme and the VETO icon, whenever e likes.
If there is no Illuminatus Rex, any Illuminatus may propose a new header, color scheme, and/or VETO icon. If such a proposal passes, the changes will be made by any Admin.
A page of Dynasty Records are kept on a separate weblog, recording events that took place during past Dynasties, noting their themes, their Illuminatus Rex or equivalent, interesting rules, large arguments, the winning move, etc. A Dynasty record must accurately reflect the Dynasty it refers to. Illuminati may submit Dynasty Records to the Illuminatus Rex.
Victory and Ascension
If an Illuminatus believes that e has achieved victory as specified in the current ruleset, e may add a post to the Blognomic frontpage entitled 'Declaration of Victory', and a Hiatus begins. So long as the Hiatus is in effect, the only game actions that may be taken are those covered by rules 2, 6, and 9.
Every Illuminatus may respond to the Declaration of Victory saying whether e regards it as legal or illegal (using the FOR, AGAINST and DEFERENTIAL icons). If more than half of Illuminatus consider the win legal, then the poster of the Declaration is considered to have officially won the Dynasty - the Dynasty ends. If more than half consider it illegal, and if no CfJs remain pending, however, then the Hiatus ends and the current Dynasty continues. If no clear decision is reached after 24 hours, the Illuminatus Rex may optionally step in and decide the win's legality.
When a Dynasty has been won, all Illuminatus's GNDT stats are reset to zero or blank. Any Illuminati who were idle throughout that Dynasty may be removed from the game, at the Illuminatus Rexs's discretion.
The Hiatus then continues until the new Illuminatus Rex posts an Ascension Address to the BlogNomic weblog - this should specify the Illuminatus Rex's chosen theme for the new round, and may optionally include a proclamation that any number of Rules will be repealed (excluding Rules 1-9), and/or that the words "Illuminatus" and "Illuminatus Rex" will be replaced with new theme-appropriate terms. If the new Illuminatus Rex chooses not to repeal a rule with number over 9, e may also replace any keyword in those rules with a new theme-appropriate term. The remaining rules, after the new Illuminatus Rexs's proclamation, shall be renumbered to keep a sequential progression. The new Illuminatus Rex may also proclaim at the Ascension Address the veto of any Pending Proposals.
Upon posting this Address, and having made the Ruleset changes, the Hiatus period ends and the new Dynasty commences.The Illuminatus Rex may not declare victory in eir own dynasty.
There is an Illuminatus who is called the Adversary. The Adversary has the same powers as the Illuminatus Rex except that the Adversary uses a distinct Veto icon, which is called the Adversary's Seal (the icon may be added here by the Adversary). Each seal icon may only be changed by its wielder.
The Illuminatus Rex and the Adversary may overturn a veto imposed by the other. This may only be done if all Proposals subsequent to the one vetoed are still pending. The vetoed Proposal then reverts to pending status. Once a veto has been overturned on a Proposal, that Proposal may not be vetoed again.
The Dynasty is still considered to belong to the Illuminatus Rex alone, but if the Adversary is able to achieve victory in that Dynasty, then its title is changed in the Dynastic records to bear the name of the Adversary instead.
Illuminatus Smith is the current Adversary.
This rule may not be repealed in the Ascension Address.
A number of Organisations exist, each with a Name, and a Reality Index signifying the extent of their interaction with the world (with a minimum of zero).
Illuminati may control any number of Organisations. This control is tracked as a list in a single GNDT field for each Illuminati, with the Reality Indices given in brackets after each Organisation. (If a Reality Index changes for an Organisation, all lists it appears in must be updated.)
Initially, Illuminati control no Organisations. An Illuminatus may spend X points of its own Influence, where X is at least 12, to create a new Organisation with a Reality Index of X, and gain control of it (provided that that Organisation has not already been created earlier in the game).
Each Illuminatus may have a single Agenda, tracked as a field in the GNDT, and stored as a Hidden Value (the initials of the Agenda may be encrypted instead of its full title). An Illuminatus may change its Agenda no more than once per week, and may not declare victory within seven days of changing its Agenda.
The following Agendas are permitted:
Agenda #1: "Power Broker". An Illuminatus with this Agenda may declare Victory if it has 400 or more Influence.
Agenda #2: "Puppet Master". An Illuminatus with this Agenda may declare Victory if it controls 25 or more Organizations and the total reality index of all eir organisations is 400 or more.
Agenda #3: "The AnarchiCosmic Order Of Fnord". An Illuminatus with this Agenda may declare Victory if the word "Fnord" has been used in a Proposal Title during this Dynasty by a number of different Illuminati equal or greater than the current Quorum.
Agenda #4: "Illuminatus Rex". An Illuminatus with this agenda may declare victory if ey become Illuminatus Rex. Note that ey must have this agenda before becoming Illuminatus Rex
Agenda #5: "Control Freak". An Illuminatus with this agenda may declare victory if every other Illuminatus, not including the Illuminatus Rex, is a Supporter of any of the Organisations that ey control. That is, every other Illuminatus must support at least one organisation that the Illuminatus in question controls.
Agenda #6: "Kingpin". An Illuminatus with this agenda may declare victory if e controls an Organisation with a Reality Index greater than 400.
Any Illuminatus may transfer a whole number of eir influence from eirself to another Illuminatus.
A Illuminatus may transfer control of an Organisation e controls to another Illuminatus.
Each Organisation has a Supporter List, which contains the names of all official Supporters of the Organisation. These Lists are maintained by the controllers of the Organisations, and are tracked in the Wiki on the "SupporterLists" page. They can, if their controller wishes it, be encrypted using the sidebar encryption tool, with a key word of the controller's choice. (Encrypted lists may be padded out with filler text to obscure the number of supporters.)
If an Organisation changes control, its previous controller should inform the new controller of the key word, if its Supporter List is encrypted.
The controller of an Organisation may only add an Illuminatus to its Supporter List if that Illuminatus has asked to be added. An Illuminatus may never support an Organisation it controls.
Any vote of DEFERENTIAL may be accompanied by a Bribery Cost for that vote, being a positive, integer amount of Influence. (If no Bribery Cost is specified, the vote's Bribery Cost defaults to 5 Influence.)
Any Illuminatus may amend any vote of DEFERENTIAL to either FOR or AGAINST by paying its Bribery cost to the Illuminatus who cast the vote, and replying to the DEFERENTIAL vote with a comment containing two voting icons - DEFERENTIAL, followed by the changed vote. The DEFERENTIAL vote is then considered changed, and the Illuminatus who cast it may not vote again on that Proposal.
If an Illuminatus posts "Auction Style Bribe Z", where Z is any integer above zero, with eir DEFERENTIAL vote then eir DEFERENTIAL vote, since changed to FOR or AGAINST, may be changed again by any Illuminatus for Z times the cost of the last change, except if the Illuminatus who posted the DEFERENTIAL vote posts the phrase "Auction over" in a comment.
No more than once per day, any Illuminatus may attempt to quantify the game effects of an Organization's connections, influence, cash, and general secret society clout by posting an entry to the front page with the subject "Tentative Powers, [Organization Name]", as long as e is on the Supporter List of that Organization.
The body of the text of that post may begin with the phrase "The Illuminatus who controls Organization X may...", and should be concluded by a list of game abilities, in the opinion of the Illuminatus making the Proposal, that are fitting for the Organization and the general theme of the game. E may optionally do this using the anonymous CallForJudgment account AND privately sending a copy of the post to the Illuminatus Rex.
If the Illuminatus Rex marks the post with a FOR vote, then the body of the "Tentative Powers" post is appended to this rule and becomes rule text immediately. If e marks the post with an AGAINST, DEFERENTIAL, or VETO vote, or more than one vote, then no action is taken and no rule text shall be appended to this rule. In the case that the Illuminatus Rex blocks a change defining Organization powers, e may optionally explain the reason for moving against such a change, e.g.,, proposed changes are too powerful, generally broken, or those that tend to prejudicially affect the balance of the game, changes are thematically unrelated to the Organization in question, etc. If an Organistion ceases to exist, its powers are removed from this rule.
- the Crypto-Cthulhuvian Society of Bankers of Venezuela - The long tentacles, err, arms of the Crypto-Cthulhuvian Bankers of Venezuela reach far into the world of financial and monetary transactions. The Illuminatus who controls the Crypto-Cthulhuvian Society of Bankers of Venezuela may, once per day, increase eir Influence by 5 points if e has less than 25 points. If this increase would set eir Influence above 25, set it to 25.
- Decepticon Fleet - The Illuminatus who controls Organization Decepticon Fleet may, once per day, reduce the Reality Index of a single Organization by DICE20. If this would give the Organization a zero or negative Reality Index, it instead destroys the Organization.
- Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta - The Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta has lost most of its contact with reality.. The Illuminatus who controls Organization Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta may claim 1 Influence once whenever an Organization's Reality Index is reduced, to a maximum of 5 Influence per day. This must be claimed within 48 hours of the reduction of said Index.
- United Nations - The Illuminatus who controls the United Nations may spend 2 Influence points to undo any loss of Reality points caused to an Organization by an Illuminatus who is not its Controller, provided that the 2 Influence points are spent within 24 hours of the Reality loss.
- Worldwide Cabal of Militant Grammarians The Illuminatus who controls Organization Worldwide Cabal of Militant Grammarians may, upon noting the presence of a grammatical error in any post on the blognomic blog, the 8th Grade English Teacher may either alter eis influence upwards 5 points or alter the dunce's influence down 5 points at eis discretion. In order to do this the 8th Grade English Teacher must post to the front page with the title "X, go to the back of the class". The text of the post must note the nature of the error, its location and the action the 8th Grade English Teacher has chosen to take in response. The 8th Grade English Teacher may not do this more than once a day.
Any member of the class may, upon noting the presence of a grammatical error in a post on the blognomic blog, bring this to the attention of the 8th Grade English Teacher by posting to the comment thread of the offending post a comment making fun of the error and its author.
For the purposes of this rule let the controller of the Worldwide Cabal of Militant Grammarians, be referred to as the "8th Grade English Teacher" let the members of the organization be known as "the class" and let any person who posts to the front page of the blognomic blog a post containing a grammar error be known as "the dunce".
- Atlantis The Illuminatus who controls Atlantis may claim 50 influence if Atlantis is destroyed. For the purposes of this rule, 'The Illuminatus who controls Atlantis' is taken to mean 'The Illuminatus who controls Atlantis at the time it is destroyed'.
- Mobile Phone Companies The Illuminatus who controls the Mobile Phone Companies may - at any time - adjust that Organisation's Reality Index to be equal to the number of Organisations currently in existence.
- Professional Organization of English Majors The Illuminatus who controls Organization Professional Organization of English Majors may reward (to a maximum of 5 influence points per day) any Illuminatus that, in an official blognomic post, demonstrate exceptional use of one or more of the following devices:
- Fox News Channel The Illuminatus who controls the Organisation Fox News Channel may alter the Reality Index of any Organisation by spending 3 Influence per point added or subtracted. The sum of these Reality Index changes to all Organisations in a given week cannot exceed the Reality Index of the Fox News Channel. ("spending" means removing Influence which that Illuminatus currently has -- no deficit spending.)
- Manchester United Football Club The Illuminatus who controls the Organisation Manchester United Football Club may, once per week, adjust the Reality Index of the Manchester United Football Club by 2DICE6 -7 (if this total would go to zero or less, then the Organisation is destroyed). Immediately after doing so, that Illuminatus must gain Influence equal to the new Reality Index.
- Fox News Channel The Illuminatus who controls the Organisation Fox News Channel may alter the Reality Index of any Organisation by spending 2 Influence per point added or subtracted. The sum of these Reality Index changes to all Organisations in a given week cannot exceed the Reality Index of the Fox News Channel. ("spending" means removing Influence which that Illuminatus currently has -- no deficit spending.)
- Just Some Ninjas The Illuminatus who controls Just Some Ninjas may make a sneak attack on another Organisation by reducing that Organisation's Reality Index by the Reality Index of Just Some Ninjas. Then the Reality Index of Just Some Ninjas is reduced by 1. If either Organisation is reduced to zero or lower Reality Index, it is destroyed.
- Some Organisation with a Random Name The Illuminauts who controls Organisation Some Organisation With a Random Name (henceforth SORN) may, whenever SORN is affected by any other organisation's power do the following anytime up to 24 hours later, even if SORN no longer exist
- Reverse the effects of the other organisations power upon SORN, recreating SORN as it was before the action if it was destroyed.
- Apply an identical effect to any other organisation.
- The Republican Party The Illuminatus who controls the Republican Party may use an additional FOR or AGAINST vote when voting on any Proposal. This is counted as a legitimate additional vote when determining the Enactment or Failure of a Proposal.
- Every Villain is Lemons The controller of Every Villain is Lemons is known as the Sourpuss. Once every 48 hours, the Sourpuss must make a post, known as a Complaint, with a title in the format "Complaining about X", where X is the subject of complaint. The post must be in the format of a Shakespearian sonnet (that is, rhyme scheme of abab-cdcd-efef-gg in iambic pentameter). If 48 hours have passed since the Sourpuss last posted a Complaint, gained control of Every Villain is Lemons, or was punished for not posting a Complaint, any Illuminatus may lower the Sourpuss's influence by 10. The Sourpuss loses 20 influence should e transfer control of Every Villain is Lemons to another Illuminatus.
- Monsanto The controller of Monsanto may, once every 24 hours, remove a single Influence gain of another Illuminatus which was due to an Organisation Power used within the 24 hours, and gain that amount of Influence emself instead. "Thank you for purchasing a Monsanto brand product."
- Alien Abductees The controller of the Alien Abductees may, once per day, post to the weblog announcing the abduction of an Illuminatus. That Illuminatus may not Declare Victory within 48 hours of the posting. Each Illuminatus can only be abducted once during the Dynasty.
- The Catholic Church A controller of The Catholic Church may declare an Organisation Power listed in rule 16 to be a Sinful power, by posting to that effect. Only one power may be considered Sinful at a time - any previous Sinful powers lose that status. Whenever an Illuminatus wants to use a Sinful power, e must first lose an amount of Influence equal to the Reality Index of the Organisation that has the power, or e may not use the power.
- Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow An Illuminatus who controls the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow may have an additional Agenda. If any Agenda of that Illuminatus is switched, then all of eir Agendas are considered changed.
No Return Address
Any Illuminatus may use the anonymous CallForJudgment account to post a Proposal as long as more than 25 hours have elapsed since the last Proposal was posted by that account. Any Illuminatus may use the anonymous CallForJudgment account to post a Plot for Membership, for Neutralisation or to Expose, as long as more than 25 hours have elapsed since the last Plot was posted by that account.
Any Illuminatus may choose to have a title. These titles are tracked in the GNDT in a field called "title". Multiple Illuminati may have a particular title at the same time and any Illuminatus may set or change eir title at will by posting the GNDT, subject to the exceptions below. All references to specific Illuminati in blog posts, comments or GNDT posts must refer to those Illuminati by eir correct titles at the time of the post.
Some titles are exceptional. All exceptional titles and their effects are listed below. An Illuminatus may only take an exceptional title if the conditions outlined in the title description of the title are met.
Illuminatus Rex - The powers and responsibilities of the Grand Illuminatus are described elsewhere in the rules. Rodney is the Grand Illuminatus unless proven otherwise
Spin Doctor When tallying votes on proposals, if the Illuminatus Rex has not voted on the proposal, or if e has voted 'DEFERENTIAL', then DEFERENTIAL votes shall count the same as the Spin Doctor's votes. The title of Spin Doctor may be bestowed upon any one Illuminatus at any time by the Illuminatus Rex, though that Illuminatus may not have any other Exceptional Title. The title of Spin Doctor may be revoked by the Illuminatus Rex at any time. If the Illuminatus Rex is otherwise barred from voting deferential, e is now allowed to do so, so long as there is a Spin Doctor.
R.A. Wilson An Illuminatus with this title may use any power of the Illuminatus Rex that does not deal with proposals, though e may not approve powers for organisations that e controls or supports. The Illuminatus Rex may award or revoke this title as e deems fit.
Person of Shadows Sometimes there is a person present in even the tightest of conspiracies that none of the plotters know about, who is often a powerful mover behind the scenes. So long as an Illuminatus holds this title, the following things are true:
- E may not declare victory
- Organisation ey control may not be subject of any plots
- E may not make any Plots for Control.
- No other illuminatus may speak to em in public places. E may not be referred to, nor eir posts replied to. Any such references or replies made by accident shall be ignored. E may not be subject of any organisation powers, nor any other game action taken by other players, save for the revocation of this title.
- E may not vote otherwise than deferential
- E may not make any proposals
- If any game action would cause a hidden value containing eir name to be decrypted, eir name is deleted from the value and not revealed.
Any Illuminati may take this title at any time, however, ey must keep this title until removed by decree from the Illuminatus Rex, or by proposal. Any Illuminatus holding this title may optionally change the word "Person" for any other noun.
Tweedledee and Tweedledum If Tweedledee takes a legal action and it is legal for Tweedledum to take an identical action then Tweedledum shall take that action. If Tweedledum takes a legal action and it is legal for Tweedledee to take an identical action then Tweedledee shall take that action.
When a rule specifies that a Hidden Value is used, then where an Illuminatus would enter a number or text, e must enter the encrypted value of that number or text instead, using the encryption tool in the sidebar with a key of eir choice.
When a rule forces a Hidden Value to be revealed then the Illuminatus must add a comment to eir original encrypted value, disclosing the key used and giving the unencrypted value of the Hidden Value.
Plots for Power
An Illuminatus may, once per day, make a type of Plot, which must be defined in the ruleset, by posting to the blog in a format as defined for that type of Plot.
Up to 24 hours after the Plot is posted it is in an Open state and any Illuminatus may affect the Plot by commenting with any number of FOR or AGAINST votes, each of which must be accompanied by a positive number. This number may be a Hidden Value. This is known as the Support Influence or Opposition Influence which has been applied to that Plot, as matched with a FOR or an AGAINST vote, respectively. The total sum of all of an Illuminatus' Support and Opposition Influence applied to all Open Plots must be less than or equal to eir current Influence.
After 24 hours, the Open state of the Plot is over and it becomes Closed, during which time no more Influence can be applied to it. Hidden Influence Values may be revealed at this time.
After 24 hours of being Closed the Plot may be resolved by any Illuminatus. If the total amount of Support Influence is greater than the total amount of Opposition Influence, the Plot is successful, otherwise it has failed. In either case, each Illuminatus has its Influence reduced by the amount of Support Influence or Opposition Influence it applied. If a Hidden Value was not revealed by this time then the Illuminatus who posted it loses an amount of Influence equal to the largest individual Support Influence or Opposition Influence amount, but this is a penalty and has no effect on the Plot outcome.
This dynasty should end soon.
Types of Plots:
- Plot for Membership. Any Illuminatus may post a "Plot for Membership: [Target Organisation], [Target Illuminatus]" If it is successful the Target Illuminatus must be added to the Supporter List for the target Organisation. This addition must be encrypted if the Illuminatus requests it. If the target Organisation is uncontrolled, this addition must be unencrypted.
- Plot for Neutralisation. Any Illuminatus may post a "Plot for Neutralisation: [Target Organisation], [Target Illuminatus]". If it is successful, the target Illuminatus must be removed from the Supporter List for the target Organisation.
- Plot for Control. An Illuminatus who is in the target Organisation's Supporter List may post a "Plot for Control: [Target Organisation]" If it is successful the Illuminatus is removed from the supporter list and becomes a controller of that Organisation.
- Plot for Destabilisation. Any Illuminatus in the target Organisation's Supporter List may post a "Plot for Destabilisation: [Target Organisation], [Target Illuminatus]" If it is successful, if the target Illuminatus controls the target Organisation, e loses control of it and gets added to its Supporter List. If this leaves the Organisation with no controller, the previous controller must unencrypt the encrypted entries in the Organisation's Supporter List.
- Plot to Expose. Any Illuminatus may post a "Plot to Expose: [Target Organisation]" If it is successful any encrypted entries in the Supporter List for the target Organisation must be unencrypted.
If it has been more than 48 hours since an Illuminatus last made an official post, e becomes idle. Idle Illuminati may not be unidled. This rule is automatically repealed on Ascension.
BlogNomic is preparing to migrate from Blog*Spot to its own webspace at BlogNomic.com. The Switch will involve game actions and rule changes other than those allowed by the Ruleset. These will be documented and planned by The Switch Document at http://blognomic.com/switch/ . The Switch Document takes precedence over the Ruleset in all matters related to The Switch.
This rule may not be repealed or amended until The Switch Document explicitly allows it.
This Rule is always at the end of the Ruleset. Its only effect can be to clarify ambiguity.
- References to "a day" (as an entity rather than a duration, eg. "Sunday") refer to that day in the timezone of the BlogNomic blog, which is considered to be GMT for all purposes.
- References to a "week" refer to the period of time between the start of a Monday and the end of the following Sunday.
- It is noted that where a Proposal would amend the effects of Proposal Enactment, this does not apply to its own enactment unless explicitly stated (eg. a proposal proposing that enacted proposals earn their writer a banana when enacted would not earn a banana for its own writer, when enacted).
- Rules which trigger on Enactment or Failure of a Proposal are the responsibility of the acting Admin, who is responsible to check if Quorum is met at the moment of the Enactment.
- Appropriate Icons: For use in voting, a check box http://kevan.org/gndt/for.gif shall represent a vote FOR, an X http://kevan.org/gndt/against.gif shall represent a vote AGAINST, an I http://kevan.org/gndt/imperial.gif shall represent a vote of DEFERENTIAL, and an Imperial Seal (currently http://kevan.org/gndt/seal.gif) shall represent the Imperial Veto.
- The "subject" of a blog entry is the first and only sentence in the Title of an entry. Any entry that does not have exactly one subject is not valid.
- "Posts" and "comments" refer only to those made to the BlogNomic weblog at blognomic.blogspot.com.
- A keyword defined by a rule supersedes the normal english usage of the word. A keyword defined in this glossary supersedes that defined by a rule. (eg. A rule specifying "Bananas are Blue" cannot be overruled by posting a dictionary definition or a photo of a banana, and a rule specifying "every day is Sunday" will be overruled by the glossary entry above.)
- Unless otherwise specified, game variables defined to hold numeric values can hold only non-negative integers, and any action that would set those values below zero instead sets them to zero. Any situation which would require a roll of DiceX when X is zero or lower always yields a value of 0 unless stated otherwise.
- The Spivak pronouns used in Blognomic are: Subject case: “e”; Object case: “em”, Possessive Adjective case: “eir”, Possessive Pronoun case: “eirs”, Reflexive case: “emself”.
- Superficial differences between the spelling of geographic versions of English, e.g, British English, American English, Australian English shall be construed as irrelevant for the purposes of play.
- Italicized text is not considered part of the ruleset and may be used to clarify rules with examples, notes and flavor text.