The First Dynasty of 75th Trombone
December 13 2005 - January 16, 2006
THE FIRST DYNASTY OF 75TH TROMBONE ©2005 Lanny Heidbreder, distributed by BlogNomic
RESTART, RESTORE, or QUIT?
You are standing in a colorless void. Foggy, charcoal emptiness stretches to infinity before and behind you. Beside you, thirteen others—whether companions or adversaries, you do not know—stand nearby. A bold, commanding, omnidirectional voice emanates powerfully from the nothingness:
“Phew, I’m glad that’s over. Interactive fiction ("IF" in the biz) is so pompous sometimes.
“Anyway, it should be painfully clear that you’re now in a text adventure. Not an ASCII-for-graphics maze like Nethack, but a paragraphs-and-prompts adventure that uses actual prose for description and interpreted commands for interaction.
“Except, there’s no interpreter. In fact, at this point there’s no prose or commands, either. Those are (naturally) up to y’all. By the time this dynasty’s over, we might have a full-fledged adventure on our hands to complete. Or we might have an almost pure Nomic with just prompty game mechanics.
“Oh, and speaking of ‘pure Nomic’: Repeal all Rules. Repeal Law 10. Change ‘Voice’/’Voices’ to ‘Protagonist’/’Protagonists’. Change ‘Ego’ to ‘Narrator’. Wipe out all GNDT fields except ‘Name.’
“In any case, I’ll get this thing going. After that—arbitrary commands or collaborative fiction? Your call.
“(But remember: Good fiction doesn’t have to be pompous.)”
The feeble, obnoxious voice fizzles out, leaving you with nothing but the blankness and your fellow Protagonists.
Proposals of Interest
- http://blognomic.com/archive/antagonist/ created Protagonists, Roles, and Grues.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/what_wouldst_thou_deau/ created quests.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/location_location_location/ created Locations.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/ministry_of_health/ created Health Points.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/in_my_hot_little_hands1/ created Items.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/goose_steps/ created Actions.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/the_simplest/ created Scores.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/glue_part_i/ created Threads.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/immanentizing_you_get_the_idea/ prevented Idle Protagonists from unIdling for the rest of the Dynasty.
- http://blognomic.com/archive/variations_on_a_theme/ gave Elias IX the win.
With everyone sick of inactivity and locked-out Idle Protagonists, DICE were rolled, giving Elias IX the victory.
Written by Qwazukee.