The Third Machine of scshunt
June 17 - July 24, 2012
Well, this is a fine mess we’ve gotten ourselves into.
Look at this timeline. Look at it. I do believe that the Djinn is busy granting the wishes of some little ants over there, and in the meanwhile, the Computer’s gone mad and is hunting down Communists in East Berlin. Very successfully, I might add. Zombies are invading, and only being held off by a bunch of bureaucratic sheep, who are only doing it due to the boredom of being lost at sea.
Nothing seems wrong with that to you? Nothing at all?
This is what you get for traipsing around history without thinking your actions through. Who here actually believed that the time machine was ready for use, and that there was no need for more safeguards before we all started gallivanting around. You can’t do that. I don’t think you understand how time travel works. It’s what I’ve come to expect from you lot anyway. I mean, really, how’d you manage to get more than a dozen copies of yourself from different points in the timeline all into the same place at once?
Time is wrong, and I need to fix it because no one else is going to bother. And you’re going to help me.
(The dynasty was rethemed to Machines midway through, a proposal error redefining all dynasties - including the current one - to be Machines, hence the name of this dynasty.)
Final Ruleset and Gamestate
Posts of Interest
- Geronimo! gave everyone a Time Machine, some Dark Matter and a grid of past Dynasties to visit
- All is Sand suggested retheming the dynasty away to a building a sand mandala, given that the previous dynasty was also about monks time-travelling to previous dynasties; it failed.
- Retheme came from the Emperor and rethemed the dynasty entirely: instead of exploring a time map of past dynasties the game had a factory floor of Machines, linked with power lines instead of causality, jammed instead of paradoxed, and attended by Workers instead of Monks. This proposal inadvertently replaced "Dynasty" with "Machine" in the core ruleset as well, leading to the name of this dynasty (enshrined by CfJ)
- Movement added Robots which could shift rows and columns of the grid.
- But What Does It Do? allowed each Machine to be named after a noun or verb from its corresponding dynasty
- Actually a Proposal This Time defined distances, and made Power Links break if they ever stretched more than five steps in distance
- A Cog in the Machine added Reputation for Workers, which could be gained and lost through Citations and Recommendations from other Workers
- To quote Bob the Builder… allowed Powered Machines to repair Broken ones they were connected to
- Noun-Verbing Time allowed Machines to be connected if one had a verb name and the other a noun
- Tab A into Slot B gave special effects for particular combinations of verb/noun machines (eg. "Achieving Doomsday", "Innoculating Muffin")
- From Mom With Love added some other Robots
- Fixed attempt to avoid the veto gave victory to the Worker with the highest Reputation when all Machines were Repaired
- Keep it simple stupid allowed Workers to activate or unjam Machines as a daily action
- Flipping the Safeties made it compulsory for all triggered Machine effects to be processed
- Overdrive again again increased the game speed fivefold, as the Emperor had gone quiet and was about to idle out
- Merit gave Merits for repairing Machines, 10 of which could be cashed in for a Reputation
- The Final Seven Shouds made the final Shrouds of the game easier to remove from Machines
- Even more Overdrive sped the game up some more
- Throw more engineers at it made the Forklift robot more powerful
- Monotony will be the death of us all repaired all Machine and gave Quirck 100 Reputation, to end the game with them winning
- My View On Fair Play was an attempt to limit when Core scams could be performed; it failed.
- Ruleset Populism allowed any player to correct ruleset typos, not just admins.
- Rules, We Got Them defined Subrules.
With only three meaningfully active players, Clucky proposed to let Quirck win. The third agreed, and Quirck won.