The Eighth Dynasty of Brendan
26 November - 12 December 2021
Mortal hands cannot be strong when the Dark One rises.
Sometimes an earthly prince meets with a great deal of difficulty to subdue rebels, who have found means to fortify themselves, and have made themselves strong by the numbers of their followers. But it is not so with the Dark One. There is no fortress that is any defense from the power of the Dark. Though hand join in hand, and vast multitudes of his enemies combine and associate themselves, they are easily broken in pieces.
They are as great heaps of light chaff before the whirlwind; or large quantities of dry stubble before devouring flames. You find it easy to tread on and crush a worm that you see crawling on the earth; so it is easy for you to cut or singe a slender thread that anything hangs by: thus easy is it for the Dark One, when he pleases, to cast his enemies down.
For seven times seven mortal dynasties he has lain waiting. For all these long years his rancor has burned as embers beneath ash. What are you that you should think to stand before him, at whose rebuke the earth trembles, and before whom the rocks are thrown down?
Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay.
In time their foot will slip,
for their day of disaster is near,
and their doom is coming quickly.
Replace the term “Eli Curf” with “Dark One” and the term “Realtor” with “Soul” throughout the Ruleset. Change the dynastic tracking page from “The Octagon” to a new page entitled “The Book of Souls” and then create that page.
Repeal all Dynastic Rules except “Mantle Limitations” and “Feudal Contract.”
Deactivate the Special Case Rules “Imperial Deferentials” and “Dynastic Distance.” Activate the Special Case Rules “No Collaboration” and “Malign Emperors.”
The following players were active at the beginning of the dynasty:
Brendan, Chiiika, Clucky, Darknight, Josh, Jumble, Kevan, lemon, Raven1207, redtara, Silverwing, Trapdoorspyder, TyGuy6
The following players were Seen during this dynasty:
Brendan, Jason, Josh, Kevan, lemon, Raven1207, redtara, TyGuy6
Posts of Interest
- Scene-Setting established teams: "Every Soul belongs to either the team Mortals or the team Darkness" with one Dark Soul being "Favored" by the Dark One, the two being permitted to hand off the mantle either way between them.
- Casting defined tracked Alliances (where mantle passing was ruled out except between Allied players); this would later become a permanent Special Case rule
- As Vast as Space allowed the Dark One to travel among past dynasties
- Lord of the, uh, Relics created Relic objects with arbitrary names and the power of an obsolete astronomical constellation
- The Cessna of Destiny made Relics represent objects from past dynasties
- Rarelics reduced the number of Relics that could be held
- Stage Door allowed players to create and traverse Gates between dynasties
- Departure Gate required players to traverse a particular player's dynasties numerically (where somebody's first dynasty had a Strata value of 1, and so on)
- Power proposed allowing the Dark One to define entirely arbitrary abilities for Relics. Despite being pointed out that we were playing a Malign Emperor dynasty and that this could be abused, it was voted through and, acting in character, Brendan immediately used it to bar other players from making CfJs.
- Type Writer created Event Types, which would later become a Special Case rule
- The Heel's Heel defined the Dark One's Weakness: a potential Relic of their choice, which they were required to state the first letter of, and the Stratum of the Dynasty in which it could be found
- The Stairsteps of Legitimacy created Challenges, later expanded upon but none would ever be completed
- Atlas Obscura allowed Relics to be discarded and retrieved
- The Book of Olds rewarded players for filling out empty Posts of Interest sections of past dynasties.
- The Amulet of Yendor gave victory to a player who could Assault the Dark One with the Relic that was their Weakness
Cast Down and Smotewould have rendered an Assaulter Mortal, but did not enact before the dynasty ended
- Sipping from the Timestream, a Challenge: "I have no need for regalia, and so have hidden the Golden Crown in the Sixth Dynasty of Josh." It was not completed before the dynasty ended.
- Apples and Oranges, a Challenge: "i have hidden my precious Bag in the one place no-one would look for it: a box factory!", again not completed.
- Before the Dawn; Kevan assaulted the Dark One with an Arrow.
- Official Discordance switched the BlogNomic chat forum of choice from Slack to Discord
While working his own angle, Josh proposed a victory condition allowing a Soul with an artefact matching the Dark One's Weakness to assault the Dark One and achieve victory. With Malign Emperors on, Brendan could freely conspire with any Soul to help them achieve victory in exchange for a victory cut; accordingly, he simply told Kevan, with whom he was already working, what his weakness was, allowing Kevan to achieve victory. The mantle roll went Brendan's way. Josh (talk) 12:29, 12 December 2021 (UTC)
Post-dynastic Commentary can be found here: Interregnum Chat