The First Dynasty of naught
5 May 2020 - 26 May 2020
You wake up on the beach. You don’t know where you are, or even how you got here. It’s difficult to push past the fog in your mind; it’s difficult to even register how hungry you are. You stand up and look around, for the first time registering the pounding behind your eyes. And you see a disaster. Broken trees lie fallen, knocked down as if mere playthings. Boulders and rooftops lie heaped in hollows and against hillsides, deposited by the winds to forgotten nooks and crannies.
All you remember is the storm, and islands seemingly sinking into the sea. You remember swimming, and gasping for air, only to receive another lungful of brackish water. You remember seeing land, and feeling the desperation of a drowning man. It seems like a lifetime ago.
As you pick your way through the fallen branches and scattered debris, you can’t help but think about your own broken memories, strewn before the storm as leaves before the wind. It’s time to pick up the pieces.
Repeal all rules, and replace all instances of “Player” and “Tom Nook” in the Ruleset with “Amnesiac” and “Past Memory” respectively.
The following players were active at the start of the Dynasty:
ayesdeeef, Clucky*, Darknight*, Josh*, Jumble, Kevan*, naught, Tantusar*, Trigon
The following players were active at the end of the Dynasty:
ais523, ayesdeeef, Clucky*, Darknight*, derrick*, Josh*, Kevan*, pokes*, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus, Tantusar*, Trigon
- (admins in bold and * throughout)
Posts of Interest
- Pieces of our past gave everyone a Role, "tracked privately by the Emperor, which they are trying to remember" - a player could not achieve victory without also recalling their Role first
- A metaphor is just a hat with another hat’s hat on allowed players to assert their Roles, rightly or wrongly; these were later renamed to "Postures"
- Psychic Adventures allowed players to recall a random identity within a set of four Roles of their choice
- Pocket Lint created Mementoes, which players could produce to remind themselves of who they might be. Only a couple of Mementoes were produced.
- Familiar Faces allowed each player to recognise one other, according to their respective Roles, without recalling the actual Role of anyone
- Introduction of a B-plot added playing cards, the generation of which would later be added to the dice roller
- Arsonists Need Targets created Buildings
- Bad Reputation allowed players to secretly flag when they thought a player had taken an invalid Role action, gaining secret Reputation points for it, with the players of highest and lowest repute being publicly recognised as the Hero and Villain respectively
- What’s this thing? - Darknight publicly searched their pockets, finding nothing. This proved they were the Mayor, the only Role to have no Mementoes.
- Memory Palaces linked Buildings to Roles
- Growth and Decay allowed the various Roles to influence the status of Buildings, in different ways
- Checks and Balances introduced counter-actions, which were never invoked
- I Swear We've Met allowed players to discard Cards to recall facts about other players who had Cards of the same suit
- Out of the Kitchen prevented players from taking actions at Burning or Secured buildings
- Justified True Self-Knowledge allowed players to remember their role if they could prove they knew it for sure (although this mechanism never really covered all the ways in which they could prove this)
- Lighter Work required particular Mementoes to be carried, for some actions
- A Place to Play Cards added more Buildings
- On the Trail added Evidence points, which some Roles could gather
- Act II: Bruté swapped game weeks for Acts
- Intrigue and Mystery saw the Emperor announcing the Hero and Villain. This would be the last game action they would take this dynasty.
- Word on the Street weakened the burden of proof for a player proving their Role
- I Search My Pockets - Ayesdeeef searched for a Memento, but the Emperor had left by this point.
- Methods allowed 5 Evidence to be cashed in for a clue
- It’s always in the last place you look - ais523 searched their pockets, again to no response.
- An alternative Memento stimulus package allowed Evidence to be cashed in for a Memento
- Out of Memory formally prevented the Emperor from taking further game actions, after five days of silence from them, so that we could proceed on the grounds that no pending actions would be processed. The game then proceeded to discussion of a way to end the dynasty and pick a winner (or, as it turned out, not pick one).
- Face Cards Redux formally added a CARD dice to the dice roller
- We Forgot Something plus Reaffirmation fixed a loophole in how idle players were determined
- Dear Diary clarified that the history of game actions were themselves a form of gamestate
When the Past Memory became idle, it was no longer possible to continue with any of the dynasty's main mechanics (which relied on secret information that the Past Memory was tracking). Various suggestions (, ) were made to try to figure out who was leading in the dynasty and give them a win accordingly; various other suggestions (, ) were made to pick a winner in a mostly random way that ignored everything that happened so far.
It was pointed out, however, that it was highly likely that the next dynasty would be disrupted by the Second Switch, and that it thus might be unfair on that dynasty's Emperor. This lead to a proposal to end with no winner and create a metadynasty, which became popular so quickly that it was illegally enacted (and later had to be reopened, and re-enacted some time later).
Post-dynastic discussion is here.
My commentary throughout this dynasty is on the talk page.